Contact Us
Englewood Daily Voice serves Alpine, Englewood, Englewood Cliffs & Tenafly
Return to your home site


Englewood Daily Voice serves Alpine, Englewood, Englewood Cliffs & Tenafly

Nearby Towns

DV Pilot police & fire

‘Violent’ struggle with 10-time felon breaks Englewood detective’s hand

Photo Credit: Courtesy Englewood PD

ANOTHER CVP SCOOP: An Englewood police officer was undergoing hand surgery this afternoon after a violent struggle with a 10-time convicted felon who has back behind bars on burglary charges less than 24 hours after serving two months for a parole violation.

Willie Edward Carter Jr. was free barely 12 hours when a liquor store surveillance camera captured images of him taking several hundred dollars in cigarettes and cash around 3:30 a.m. yesterday.

He apparently used a ladder to break and and climb in through a second-story rear window of Wides Liquors on West Englewood Avenue, Detective Capt. Tim Torell told CLIFFVIEW PILOT .

Detective Barry Miller immediately recognized Carter, 44, on the video and went with uniformed officers to his home.

“An extremely violent struggle ensued between the officers and Carter,  requiring additional police units from throughout the city,” Torell said.

“This was not a case where someone was making it difficult for handcuffs to be applied — we encounter that all the time,” the captain said. “This was a full-out and purposeful attempt by Carter to injure officers and escape.

“That, compounded by the interference of one of his family members, made this a dangerous situation.”

Carter was taken into custody, along with his 52-year-old, sister, Mary Joyce Carter.

In the process, however both Miller and and Patrol Officer Jerel Hammond sustained hand injuries.

Miller had a “bad break” in one of his hands and was scheduled for surgery this afternoon, Torell said.

“Aside from the personal side of losing Barry and Jerel until they mend, it’s a significant loss to the department,” he said. “We’re a busy place. Being down two guys is going to hurt.

“We wish them both a speedy recovery.”

Mary Carter was charged with one count of Obstruction and later released.

Willie Carter, meanwhile, was back in the Bergen County Jail, this time on $100,000 bail, charged with two counts of aggravated assault on police officers, two counts of resisting arrest, burglary and theft.

MUGSHOT: Courtesy Englewood PD

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Englewood Daily Voice!

Serves Alpine, Englewood, Englewood Cliffs & Tenafly

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.